Thursday 2 October 2008

No 'blem

200908

I smiled the first time I heard this and couldn’t help but wonder how it came about. I’m told it’s a mixture of Wolof (the local language) and French.It’s a slang used frequently in Dakar by any and everybody and it depicts the way they live in this my ‘1st’ city I’ve come to love. I call it my first city cos it’s really the first city on this tour for me (even though I’ve been to Accra already).

They seem to love life a lot and sleep in late, taking life really easy like they don’t have a care in the world. Did I mention their beautiful women? Oh! I already did.
The people say we’ve come at a time when a lot of things are shut down because of the Ramadan. We really can’t see the night life or the dancing and jollying that best describes the Dakar people and I dare say the entire people of Senegal.But have I had a good time here? I would say yes, because even with the ‘restrictions’ we’ve seen the people at their best and I really wonder what it would be like here without the Ramadan.

From what I see here, there isn’t that great gap between the rich and the poor and you can’t find any poverty stricken children roaming the streets and begging for food (well not as many). The streets are tarred and clean (?) and they have electricity. Food is beaucoup and transportation is cheap (that is when you take the NDND* and not taxi).

If you crave the sun, beautiful beach and want a feel of the Caribbean still with the complete African flava, then I suggest you take the next plane, bus or ferry to Dakar. Would I recommend Dakar for a holiday place anytime of the year? Most definitely!


*Ndjiangi ndjiayi, it’s the local buses around the Dakar area

11 comments:

The Activist said...

This should be called "broken french" as we have broken english here in Nigeria. I do eny these pple wiv their easy life.

I love senegalese attires. Show some pictures sis

The Activist said...

"envy" I meant to write

Blue Eyed Blonde said...

Now i've added Dakar to my list of must-sees. Any info on good "affordable" hotels?

princekay123 said...

I used to have this feeling that African countries are not okay. I got the shock of my life when I visited Kenya 2 years ago. The place is cool, I must admit.

Presently, I am thinking of spending my next vacation in Uganda. Maybe I will consider Senegal too.

princekay123 said...

Much love here. You have a nice blog.

Unknown said...

Chioma, dont forget to bring back good video clips (I trust u are recording these trips) Me I go buy o! Weldone girl! same for ur sis

Oluchi said...

@ Doja, click on the photos link on the page you'll see pixs from our trip. Even some beach pixs

Anonymous said...

Dakar is a home away from home. I've been there more than onces and the people are very friendly and the place is unclutter.Sea food? The best ...

I would love to own a home there. It is that wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chioma,
I guess am having word drought. So excited that this noble enterprise is coming from Africa and Nigeria in particular. You are worth celebrating. You are an icon of some sort. I wish you and oluchi well and hope your effort add tremedious value to this great continent.
Cheers

Denrele Onikosi

Oluchi said...

@Denrele, thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

"Broken" French? Isn't French formally adopting some Wolof words? I know the Francophone Scrabble World Championships do:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7516920.stm

"...President Wade believes Senegal's successes in beating the French at their own language reveals the nation's untapped potential - although France's sole reigning world champion is keen to address that.

"'Incredibly, I was the only non-Senegalese to win in Quebec last year,' says 31-year-old Antonin Michel.

"'So I have huge pressure on my shoulders. But I'm pretty confident that six or seven of us can compete with the Senegalese.

"'It's fairly simple why they are so good', says Michel.

"'Scrabble is a religion here. Nowhere else in the world can you find such excitement and dedication to the game. After all, this is the first place where I have seen street vendors selling Scrabble.'...

"...Of course, they also want to demonstrate their mastery of French, and the leading players go to mind-boggling lengths to finish on top.

"'To be a world champion, you need to master 98-99% of the dictionary,' says Michel. 'I'm learning the words themselves, not their meanings, so that I can play any word during matches. Players like me master 50,000 words.'

"To put that into context, a university professor's vocabulary is believed to extend to around 15,000 words.

"Yet Francophone Scrabble players must now also know various words from the Senegalese dialect, Wolof, with 14 words having made it into the game's official dictionary - such as 'thiof' (a local fish) and 'xalam' (lute).

"'It gives us pride to see our Wolof words accepted,' says Sylla.

"It may also give the Senegalese an edge over their international rivals..."

:)