Sunday 27 July 2008

Leaving Accra

We finally left Accra, kicking and screaming. I almost wish I could stay longer but I already postponed leaving twice this week. We got into Kumasi around 5pm, because even though we got to the bus station around 10, we didn’t leave until 1pm! I think I’m beginning to learn the true meaning of patience and slow down the pace I used to have when I was working, it’s a bit humbling to realize that the world does not revolve around me and what I want!

It’s been another beautiful week, with me meeting more people than I have met in a loooong time, I even fell in lust (I’m not telling who). Everyone has been very encouraging about ‘Celebrate Africa’ and with contributing wonderful ideas for making it a truly successful project.

It seems like the possibilities are endless and I think that’s one of the things that scares me, it might be such a runaway success that I wouldn’t know what to do with it.

I’m now in Kumasi, and will be in Tamale on Tuesday, if I can find someone to host me. Then it’s on to Burkina Faso on Thursday. I’m a bit apprehensive about Burkina because I no ‘parle francais’, but I bet it’s going to be really interesting to see how far my sign language and a smattering of French mixed with Hausa takes me.

My sister, Ijeoma leaves for Lagos on Monday and then it’s just me and any of the many friends I make along the way. Two people close to me have expressed interest in joining me, but we’ll see. Anyone who wants to join is welcome, so long as I don’t hold anyone’s hand or baby-sit because this is as much a journey of self-discovery as it is a journey to discover Africa. So we’ll see.

I’m going to try and write something everyday but update during the weekend so that I don’t have to spend everyday of the week looking for internet connections. Remember to check my website for updates and remember to donate, donate, donate.

Blessings

Chioma.

2 comments:

The Activist said...

I am happy you are making progress. I trully wish you the very best

ROSEMOND said...

i love your courage girl, wish i can do such but i will prefer a volunteer servise. live it up